Nutrient-Rich Chocolate Beetroot Brownies
These Nutrient-Rich Chocolate Beetroot Brownies not only offer a lower fat, no flour version but also deliver an intensely rich brownie, packed with antioxidants from the beetroot and the dark chocolate. The addition of ground almonds provides valuable oils as well as additional protein, making these Chocolate Beetroot Brownies a healthy longer lasting snack. Ideal lunch box or picnic treat or as a healthier dessert with greek yoghurt or creme fraiche.
I’m curious, can your discerning guests taste the beetroot?!! Let me know in the comments below!
- 300g whole raw beetroot (2-3 medium beets) or ready-made vacuum packed beetroot
- 100g unsalted butter, plus extra for the tin
- 250g bar plain chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 150g ground almonds
- 25g cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cayenne powder (optional)
- A large handful of walnuts for the top
- Boil the whole beetroot (if using raw) until tender. Top & tail and peel once cooled but still warm, using gloves to avoid staining
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 4. Line a 20x30cm baking tin.
- Roughly chop the chocolate and cut the butter into cubes.
- Put the beetroot into a food processor or blender with the chocolate, butter and vanilla. Whizz until the mix is as smooth as you can get it. The chocolate and butter will melt as you do this. [If using vacuum packed beetroot, you will need to melt the chocolate and butter gently in a bowl over a pan of simmering water]
- Scrape down the sides and add the sugar, eggs, ground almonds, cocoa, baking powder and cayenne (if using) into the mixture and gently whizz until combined to make a smooth batter.
- Pour into a prepared tin, lay out the walnuts on the top and bake for 30-35 mins or until the top is set but it feels soft in the middle.
- Cool completely in the tin, then cut your Nutrient-Rich Chocolate Beetroot Brownies into squares.
Beetroot can improve your athletic performance, lower blood pressure and increase blood flow. To find out more, this article discusses the health benefits in more detail. Click Here