Naturally Gluten-Free Chickpea Flatbreads
Whereas traditional flatbreads are wheat based, these gluten-free chickpea flatbreads are made using an alternative flour; chickpea flour, which is naturally gluten free and incredibly nutritious. With good protein and fibre, this is a perfect choice is you’re looking to vary your grains and reduce your intake of gluten.
To Make These Gluten-Free Chickpea Flatbreads you’ll need…..
- 250g Gram Flour (Chickpea flour)
- 180g Water
- 50g Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Pinch salt (to taste)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder (optional)
- 1 sprig Fresh Rosemary
- Into a large bowl and gradually add the water using a whisk to the chickpea flour.
- Allow to stand for 30mins (or longer if you have time.
- Add baking powder and mix well, adding a little more water if the mixture is too dry
- Alternatively you are using a food processor such as Thermomix, follow these instructions using ingredients from scratch:
Grind whole dried chickpeas 40sec/speed 10. Scrape down sides and repeat
Add the water, olive oil and salt and mix 10sec/speed 6. Knead using the Dough setting for 1 min.
Add baking powder (optional) and knead for 1 min to combine.
- Transfer to a large prepared baking tray and spread out with oiled fingers to around 1cm thick. Sprinkle with fresh torn rosemary leaves & bake for 20mins, until slightly golden.
- Allow to cool before breaking into small pieces. Alternatively, bake in a rectangular baking tray and cut into even rectangles.
- Using baking powder will give a slightly softer, more airy texture. For a crisper version, leave the baking powder out
These gluten-free Chickpea Flatbreads are perfect with this delicious Nutritious Sun Dried Tomato Tapenade
When it comes to gluten, there is no need to avoid completely unless you have been diagnosed with an allergy and you are coeliac. Gluten is a protein that is found in wheat and other grains. More often than not, choices can be surprisingly high in gluten, for example bread, pasta, pizza, cakes and biscuits all contain gluten and these can be the mainstay of many diets. It is this over-burdening on our digestive system that can cause debilitating digestive issues like bloating, wind, cramps etc. Varying your diet with different grains will go a long way to ease this burden. Chickpea flour is a great wheat alternative and is naturally gluten free and very nutritious. For more on the nutritional health benefits of Chickpeas, CLICK HERE