Homemade Vegetarian Spicy Baked Beans
Making your own homemade spicy baked beans is incredibly easy and infinitely more healthy, nutritious and of course delicious than regular shop-bought varieties!! Vegetarian, Vegan, Dairy free and Gluten free, this dish ticks all the boxes and is so versatile; you can use it as a veggie side with grilled/baked chicken or fish or as a topping for nachos, but it’s hearty enough as a main meal on its own with some crusty bread or on toast with a fried egg on top (divine!). It freezes well, so don’t be afraid to make a big batch!
To make these delicious spicy baked beans, you’ll simply need….
- 2 tins Cannellini or Haricot beans; drain and well rinsed
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 1 large Sweet Red Pepper, finely sliced in small pieces
- 1 large Onion finely chopped
- 500ml Passata
- 2 tsps Paprika
- 1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
- Pinch Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- Olive Oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley – finely chopped for garnish
Heat oil in a large saucepan over a moderate heat and add the onions and garlic; cook for approximately 5 minutes, allowing them to “sweat” until they are soft, stirring to ensure it doesn’t stick or brown. Add the peppers and the paprika and cayenne (if using) and cook for a further minute before. Add the beans and passatta; bring to the boil and reduce heat and allow to gently simmer for approximately 15 mins, until the sauce has thickened slightly.
Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.
- Serve with cubes of Feta cheese sprinkled on top
- Serve with thick slices of pan-fried Halloumi cheese
- Arrange the beans in thin layer in a large frying pan and gently break an egg over the beans. Add as many eggs as the pan will allow and leave to cook for 5 mins over a low heat. Cover the pan to ensure the eggs cooks properly. Serve with crusty bread as a breakfast, brunch or light meal
Cannellini beans and Haricot beans are part of the Legume family of vegetables. To find out why these should be part of your healthy diet, CLICK HERE