Baked Glazed Miso Aubergines
This delicious miso aubergines recipe is so easy and ideal to serve as a non-meat option, whether you’re vegan or not! You’ll be amazed how easy it is to make your own glaze topping, adding depth and balanced asian inspired flavours that’ll instantly transform this fabulous vegetable. You can serve these miso aubergines with stir-fry vegetable noodles or with some grilled teriyaki salmon or chicken and a side salad for a delicious and satisfying meal.
Making these Miso Aubergines, you’ll need….
- 2 large aubergines, cut lengthways, retaining the stalk
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
For the Miso Aubergines Glaze:
- 2 tbsp Miso paste
- 3 tbsp Mirin
- 2 tsp Tamari soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/honey (optional)
- Place aubergines on a baking tray and score the flesh on each half with a deep criss-cross pattern, taking care not to pierce the bottom. Drizzle with a little sesame oil and bake at 180 degrees for 30mins to soften the aubergines
- Meanwhile, combine the glaze ingredients in a small bowl to make a paste
- Remove the aubergines and spread a layer of the paste on each half. Put back in the oven to continue cooking for 20mins, until browned and soft
- Serve these miso aubergines sprinkled with sesame seeds and garnished with chopped spring onions
Miso is a protein rich paste made from fermented soy beans and therefore rich in beneficial bacteria, which helps to promote a healthy gut flora for improved digestion and absorption. Miso is also rich in minerals as well as B vitamins, vitamin E and K and folic acid.
One of the by-products of miso production is Tamari, a rich and thick dark soy sauce that is specifically Japanese. It is less salty than traditional chinese soy sauce and as it is brewed from soy beans without added wheat, Tamari is also gluten-free, whereas other soy sauce varieties tend to contain gluten.
Whilst the oven is on, consider adding some Baked or grilled Asian chicken, salmon or tofu for a delicious and satisfying meal. CLICK HERE for the marinade recipe