I stumbled on this salad as I was doing a fridge raid one day! A batch of courgettes, a couple of bunches of asparagus, half a bag of fresh spinach and a whole load of herbs growing in the garden inspired this easy showstopping salad! With so many nutritious ingredients, a veritable supergreen lentil salad was born!
To make this lentil salad, you’ll need:
- 200g green lentils
- 2 courgettes, cut in half lengthways and thickly sliced
- 2 bunches asparagus; cut into diagonal pieces, reserving the tips separately
- 2 bunches fresh spinach
- Rapeseed oil, for roasting
- Salt and pepper
- Handful pistachios, shelled
To make the pesto dressing:
- large bunch of a variety of herbs; eg parsley, thyme, sage, mint, rosemary, coriander, basil; finely chopped
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped or crushed
- 1 tbsp capers (optional), finely chopped
TIP: make a large amount if you prefer to have a batch on the side as well.
Heat the oven to 180 degrees
In a large bowl, toss the courgette slices in a little rapeseed oil and season with salt and pepper. Arrange the slices on a large baking tray, ensuring they don’t overlap. Roast in the oven for 30-35mins until they are slightly golden.
Repeat for the asparagus and roast for the final 10mins with the courgettes. Remove both when ready and set aside.
Meanwhile, put the lentils in a large pan of water and bring to a boil. Simmer for approximately 30mins until they are soft. Drain and put the lentils in a large bowl.
Make up the dressing; combine all the ingredients in a jar and shake well. Adjust flavours so they are well blended; as a guide, the oil should be around double the vinegar/lemon. Season well.
Whilst the lentils are still warm, fold in the fresh spinach allowing them to wilt slightly before adding HALF the dressing, so the flavours infuse. Season well as the lentils will need salt to bring out the flavour.
Now build your salad, starting with the pesto lentil and spinach base, adding a layer of the roasted courgettes, followed by the asparagus and finally top with the pistachio nuts.
Drizzle with the remaining dressing and serve at room temperature.