This quick smashed chickpea salad is incredibly fresh tasting with it’s fresh lemony zing perfectly complimented by the warmed chickpeas and fiery yoghurt base. This delicious salad is a perfect lunch choice and is also vegan flexible, depending on your choice of yoghurt.
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- Juice ½ lemon
- 1 small green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp good quality olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 handful of cherry tomatoes or 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 small handful of fresh coriander, finely chopped
- Salt & Pepper
- 2-3 tbsp Greek yoghurt (or soya V)
- 2 tsp harissa paste
- Good quality bread for toasting
Here’s how to make this quick smashed chickpea salad:
Combine onion, lemon zest, chilli and garlic in a large bowl. Add lemon juice and olive oil and toss combine. Set aside.
Meanwhile, warm the chickpeas in a saucepan and then add to the onion mixture. Using a potato or fork, press down on the chickpeas to lightly smash them.
Now add the tomatoes and coriander, season well and mix. Check seasoning and add more lemon juice if necessary.
In a separate bowl, combine the yoghurt and harissa.
Toast some wholemeal or sourdough bread and spread the yoghurt over. Top with a generous portion of the chickpea mixture. Drizzle with olive oil before serving.
Include more vegetables for variety; celery and peppers work well here. Include the celery leaves in the mixture for added flavour.
Of course, if you don’t fancy toast, simply spoon the yoghurt base over a bed of rocket, before adding the chickpea mixture.
This mixture will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days and is also ideal as a packed lunch to eat with a spoon rather than on toast.